[ovirt-users] ovirt-live 4.2 - missing stable ISO? + Networking question - when to setup host & in NM or ifcfg?

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Wed Jan 10 08:27:43 UTC 2018

wrote:

> I'm trying to find the stable / current oVirt-live ISO to download.
>
> According to the official documentation, it looks like there is only the
> legacy 4.1 ISO, or nightly / unstable builds of 4.2(.2?)?
>
> SRC: https://www.ovirt.org/download/ovirt-live/

I'm hoping we have deprecated it. For demo purposes, you could set up
ovirt-system-tests[1]. For an all-in-one you could either install the
Engine and the hypervisor on the same physical host, or a
self-hosted-engine with a single physical node.

> ---
>
> Alternatively, if one is to deploy the 'self-hosted-engine' on top of
> CentOS 7.4, the documentation doesn't make it clear what you should vs
> shouldn't setup on the host prior to deploying the hosted engine.
>
> For example, some big questions pop up around networking, e.g.:
>
> - Should I be setting those up during CentOS's install using the installer
> (which I believe configures them with Network Manager), or should I be
> setting up the ifcfg files manually by hand without touching Network
> Manager via the server's remote console after the install has finished?

Either is fine.

> - Is it OK for me to setup my first two NICs in a mode 1 (A/P) or 4 (XOR)
> bond (these are connected to a 'dumb' switch and provide internet access
> and later will be used for management activities such as vm migrations).

It is, though if not needed, I think it's easier to do it later via oVirt.

> - Is it OK for me to setup my second two NICs in a LACP bond (required as
> they connect to our core switches) and to add VLANs on top of that bond,
> include the storage VLAN required for iSCSI access which is later required
> to host the hosted-engine?

It is, though it might be easier to do it later via oVirt (unless you need
it to access the storage Hosted-Engine is using!)

> SRC: https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/self-hosted/
> chap-Deploying_Self-Hosted_Engine/
>
> ---
>
> I think the hardest thing is that the documentation for oVirt seems very
> poorly maintained, or it's at least scattered around various links or
> different guides.

Our documentation, like the code, is open source. Patches are always
welcome.

> Perhaps this isn't obvious to people that are already familiar with the
> components, terminology and setup practises of oVirt / RHEV, but for
> someone like me coming from XenServer - it's confusing as anything.
>

> Example diagram of infrastructure: https://i.imgur.com/U4hCP3a.png

With iSCSI, I prefer multipathing, but I see why you'd want bond, if it's
used for other traffic as well.
Y.

[1] ovirt-system-tests.readthedocs.io/en/latest/