[ovirt-users] Are Ovirt updates nessessary after CVE-2017-5754 CVE-2017-5753 CVE-2017-5715

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Jan 15 15:28:11 UTC 2018

Arman,

Thanks for the info...  And sorry for taking so long to reply.  It's
been a busy weekend.

First, thank you for the links.  Useful information.

However, could you define "recent"?  My system is from Q3 2016.  Is that
considered recent enough to not need a bios updte?

My /proc/cpuinfo reports:
model name	: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz

I downloaded the microcode.tgz file, which is dated Jan 8.  I noticed
that the microcode_ctl package in my repo is dated Jan 4, which implies
it probably does NOT contain the Jan 8 tgz from Intel.  It LOOKS like I
can just replace the intel-ucode files with those from the tgz, but I'm
not sure what, if anything, I need to do with the microcode.dat file in
the tgz?

Thanks,

-derek

Arman Khalatyan <arm2arm at gmail.com> writes:

> if you have recent supermicro you dont need to update the bios,
>
> Some tests:
> Crack test:
> https://github.com/IAIK/meltdown
>
> Check test:
> https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker
>
> the intel microcodes  you can find here:
> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=41447
> good luck.
> Arman.
>

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 4:32 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, January 11, 2018 9:53 am, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
>>
>>> No one likes downtime but I suspect this is one of those serious
>>> vulnerabilities that you really really must be protected against.
>>> That being said, before planning downtime, check your HW vendor for
>>> firmware or Intel for microcode for the host first.
>>> Without it, there's not a lot of protection anyway.
>>> Note that there are 4 steps you need to take to be fully protected: CPU,
>>> hypervisor, guests and guest CPU type - plan ahead!
>>> Y.
>>
>> Is there a HOW-To written up somewhere on this?  ;)
>>
>> I built the hardware from scratch myself, so I can't go off to Dell or
>> someone for this.  So which do I need, motherboard firmware or Intel
>> microcode?  I suppose I need to go to the motherboard manufacturer
>> (Supermicro) to look for updated firmware?  Do I also need to look at
>> Intel?  Is this either-or or a "both" situation?  Of course I have no idea
>> how to reflash new firmware onto this motherboard -- I don't have DOS.
>>
>> As you can see, planning I can do.  Execution is more challenging ;)
>>
>> Thanks!

>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>        derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745