[ovirt-users] The future of backups in oVirt 4.2+

Dan Yasny dyasny at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 15:30:43 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 5:08 PM, Dan Yasny <dyasny at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you are using NFS, you might find it easier and more efficient to use
>> a solution outside oVirt.
>>

> But how do you maintain crash consistency? I suspect using oVirt helps, in
> the sense that it enables fsfreeze (VSS). Otherwise, there's a good chance
> of fsck...
> In theory, it can be extended for application-consistency as well[1].
> Y.
>
> [1] https://github.com/guillon/qemu-plugins/blob/
> master/scripts/qemu-guest-agent/fsfreeze-hook.d/mysql-flush.sh.sample

Indeed, to be a proper solution it requires some work, my old blogpost was
about the initial testing of an external backup solution, which can keep a
consistent set of deduplicated and ordered backups, quite easily restorable
to a PIT, just like you have with many of today's hyper-v and vmware
solutions. What it missing is crash consistency (an API call is required to
qemu-ga and other scripts), VM configuration data (OVF or DOMXML export of
the VM itself, not just the disks), snapshot chain preservation (not sure
it's much of a requirement in a backup solution).

The oVirt backup API is nice, but what it gives you in the end is a full VM
image, instead of incrementals, which is a huge waste of space, unless you
are using deduplicated storage, and those are too expensive to store data
at rest usually.

What I like about backy2 is the fact that it deduplicates on the fly,
without using anything too low level like ZFS, and you only store the
diffs. It also works at the block level, so LVM volumes and files on NFS
are treated the same. The extra features like bitrot prevention and NBD
aren't without use as well. I'm sure with some work it can be made to work.

I've also been looking into a very different approach, e.g. live-migrating
the VM memstate and disks into a backup image, with migration cancelled
when sync is achieved, but that required some serious support from the KVM
folks and I had no time besides a shallow dabble.