[ovirt-users] Fibre Channel Protocol (FCP)

Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 11:23:24 UTC 2018

Hello Maoz,

i'm serving more than 300 vms in fc setup (and growing).

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 12:16 PM, maoz zadok <maozza at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
> I connected existing data center with NFS storage domain to a new
> Fiber-Channel storage domain according to the following guide, and I have
> three questions.
> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/install-guide/chap-Configuring_Storage/
>
> 1. why does the storage domain asks me to "Use Host"?

Because there are some operations (lvm initialization & so on) to be
done while setting up the volumes on FC storage. These operations will
be performed by the given host

> does it mean that if this host is down there is no access to the FC storage
> or the next available host elected to manage the FC storage?

No, storage is mapped by all the hosts and accessed directly

> does it mean that all the traffic to my storage is routed via the selected
> host?

Absolutely no!

> what is the best practice, do I need to split the workload to other hosts as
> well by letting each host manage one small LUN instead of letting one host
> manage all LUNs or one big LUN?

I supposte that your question is related to the way that FC is
managed. Since every host sees all the drives, there question is no
more appropriate.

> 2. is it possible to set the newly created fiber-channel storage(data
> domain) as master?

IIRC if you set to maintenance the existing master, another one will
be selected.

> 3. can I easily migrate all VM disks to the FC storage instead of the NFS?

Sure, nfs storage domain or fc storage domain doesn't make difference
in terms of interaction. You can move disks from one to the other
without issues.

Luca

--
"E' assurdo impiegare gli uomini di intelligenza eccellente per fare
calcoli che potrebbero essere affidati a chiunque se si usassero delle

"Internet è la più grande biblioteca del mondo.
Ma il problema è che i libri sono tutti sparsi sul pavimento"
John Allen Paulos, Matematico (1945-vivente)

Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto, http://www.remixtj.net , <lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com>