[ovirt-users] Pre-snapshot scripts to run before live snapshot

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 13:24:08 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 9:47 AM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Now I would like to do something similar for a Windows 2008 R2 x64 VM.
>>

> Windows is somewhat different. In fact, it's a bit better than Linux
> (ARGH! but it's true) with its support for VSS - an API for applications to
> register to events such as backup.
> You should have the QEMU guest agent VSS provider installed (Note: need to
> see where's the latest bits - I found[1]).
>
> Then, if your application supports VSS, you are all good (I believe).
> Y.
>
> [1] https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-
> downloads/archive-qemu-ga/qemu-ga-win-7.4.5-1/

Yes, I see that there are some VSS events intercepted in event viewer when
I run a snapshot.
But in my particulr case I have an Oracle database used for Business
Intelligence that for performance reasons is not in archive log mode, so it
can't interact with VSS layer.
Due to its nature I can shutdown this database during the evening and then
reopen it before the ETL processing happens during the night.
So in that time frame I would like to have a pre-snapshot operation of
shutdown db and post-snapshot operation of start db.
And then I clone the snapshot and export it in case I have to restore the
"blob" as a consistent whole

It is for this reason that I'm trying to verify if the freeze-hook is
usable also in WIndows environments (based on some threads I find it should
be...)

Thanks,
Gianluca