[ovirt-users] Which hardware are you using for oVirt

Andrei Verovski andreil1 at starlett.lv
Sat Mar 24 09:35:38 UTC 2018

Hi,

HL ProLiant DL380, dual Xeon
120 GB RAID L1 for system
2 TB RAID L10 for VM disks
5 VMs, 3 Linux, 2 Windows
Total CPU load most of the time is  low, high level of activity related
to disk.
Host engine under KVM appliance on SuSE, can be easily moved, backed up,
copied, experimented with, etc.

You'll have to use servers with more RAM and storage than main.
More then one NIC required if some of your VMs are on different subnets,
e.g. 1 in internal zone and 2nd on DMZ.
For your setup 10 GB NICs + L3 Switch for ovirtmgmt.

BTW, I would suggest to have several separate hardware RAIDs unless you
have SSD, otherwise limit of the disk system I/O will be a bottleneck.
Consider SSD L1 RAID for heavy-loaded databases.

*Please note many cheap SSDs do NOT work reliably with SAS controllers
even in SATA mode*.

For example, I supposed to use 2 x WD Green SSD configures as RAID L1
for OS.
It was possible to install system, yet under heavy load simulated with
iozone disk system freeze, rendering OS unbootable.
Same crash was experienced with 512GB KingFast SSD connected to
broadcom/AMCC SAS RAID Card.