[ovirt-users] vdi over wan optimation

Christopher Cox ccox at endlessnow.com
Tue Mar 27 17:02:07 UTC 2018

On 03/27/2018 10:10 AM, Andreas Huser wrote:
> Hi, i have a question about vdi over wan. The traffic is very high when i look videos or online streams. 100% of my capacity of Internet Bandwidth is used.
>
> Does anyone an idea how can i optimise spice for wan?

You can always look into QoS, but might have to apply that uniformly to
the guest spice traffic (likely).  And by QoS, that likely means
something you do outside of oVirt (Internet vs Intranet).

Of course, applying QoS for "video" may make things horrible.  Pumping
large amounts of "live" important synchronized data costs a lot, it's
the nature of the beast.  Restrict it and you often end up with less
than usable audio/video, especially if the data is unknown (e.g. a full
remote desktop).

Ideally, from a thin client perspective, the solution is to run as much
of that as possible outside of the remote desktop.

There's a reason why those very setup specific options exist out there
for handling these types of VDI things (transparently).  They are very
restricted and of course have a slew of dependencies and usually a lot
of cost. (and IMHO, often times go "belly up" within 5 years)

I've seen some of these.  Basically the thin client uses remote desktop,
but when an embedded video happens, that is offloaded as a direct
connection handled by the thin client (kind of like "casting" in today's
world).

I these VDI quests are Windows, RDP is likely going to do better than
Spice, especially for remote audio and video.  Doesn't mean it won't
occupy all your bandwidth, just saying it performs better.   With that
said, remote desktop via other means, be that RDP, or NX, etc.. might be
"better" than Spice.

PSA: If these are Windows, be aware of Microsoft's VDI tax (the VDA).
This is an arbitrary invented tax that Microsoft created strictly to get
people to only user their hypervisor platform.  It can cost a lot and
it's required annually.

In the past I used NX for my Linux "desktops".  This worked well even
over very low bandwidth connects, however, it assumed my business was
not the source of network bottlenecks on the Internet.  Just saying.
Even so, things that did massive amount of work, be that large AV or
IntelliJ (which does a gazillion window creates/destroys) were still
some concern.  We tweaked our IntelliJ profiles to help reduce the load
there.  Not a whole lot we could do with regards to audio/video but
educate people.

And no, I do not recommend 10 users playing PUBG via VDI. :-)