[ovirt-users] Recovering oVirt-Engine with a backup before upgrading to 4.2

Sven Achtelik Sven.Achtelik at eps.aero
Tue Mar 27 18:14:32 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I'm still facing issues with my HE engine. Here are the steps that I took to end up in this situation:

-         Update Engine from 4.1.7 to 4.1.9

o   That worked as expected

-         Automatic Backup of Engine DB in the night

-         Upgraded Engine from 4.1.9 to 4.2.1

o   That worked fine

-         Noticed Issues with the HA support for HE

o   Cause was not having the latest ovirt-ha agent/broker version on hosts

-         After updating the first host with the latest packages for the Agent/Broker engine was started twice

o   As a result the Engine VM Disk was corrupted and there is no Backup of the Disk

o   There is also no Backup of the Engine DB with version 4.2

-         VM disk was repaired with fsck.ext4, but DB is corrupt

o   Can't restore the Engine DB because the Backup DB from Engine V 4.1

-         Rolled back all changes on Engine VM to 4.1.9 and imported Backup

o   Checked for HA VMs to set as disabled and started the Engine

-         Login is fine but the Engine is having trouble picking up and information from the Hosts

o   No information on running VMs or hosts status

-         Final Situation

o   2 Hosts have VMs still running and I can't stop those

o   I still have the image of my corrupted Engine VM (v4.2)

Since there were no major changes after upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2, would it be possible to manually restore the 4.1 DB to the 4.2 Engine VM to this up and running again or are there modifications made to the DB on upgrading that are relevant for this ? All my work on rolling back to 4.1.9 with the DB restore failed as the Engine is not capable of picking up information from the hosts. Lessons learned is to always make a copy/snapshot of the engine VM disk before upgrading anything. What are my options on getting back to a working environment ? Any help or hint is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sven