[ovirt-users] upgrade ovirt HE from 4.2.1-7 to 4.2.2-2 : [ ERROR ] Failed to execute stage 'Environment customization': 'OVEHOSTED_STORAGE/spUUID'

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 06:00:48 UTC 2018

> Hi,
>
> i have 2 nodes ovirtnode in one cluster with hosted engine in 4.2.1-7
> I want to upgrade to 4.2.2, so i'm using this procedure
> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/self-hosted/chap-Maintenance_and_
> Upgrading_Resources/#upgrading-an-el-based-self-hosted-engine-environment
>

> The hosted-engine --upgrade-appliance failed with
> [ ERROR ] Failed to execute stage 'Environment customization':
> 'OVEHOSTED_STORAGE/spUUID'

Hi Nicolas, please note that this procedure was intended only for migrating
across different distribution version (el6 -> el7) and not for usual engine
upgrades.
Our existing documentation would need some rework, but the correct
procedure here would be set the hosted engine to global  maintenance
following
https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/self-hosted/chap-Maintenance_and_Upgrading_Resources/#maintaining-the-self-hosted-engine
and then perform an engine upgrade following
https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/upgrade-guide/chap-Updates_between_Minor_Releases/

> [root at ov1<mailto:root at ov1> ~]# hosted-engine --upgrade-appliance
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Initializing
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Environment setup
>           During customization use CTRL-D to abort.
>
>           ============================================================
> ======================
>           Welcome to the oVirt Self Hosted Engine setup/Upgrade tool.
>
>           Please refer to the oVirt install guide:
>           https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-
> engine/#fresh-install
>           Please refer to the oVirt upgrade guide:
>           https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-
> engine/#upgrade-hosted-engine
>           ============================================================
> ======================
>           Continuing will upgrade the engine VM running on this hosts
> deploying and configuring a new appliance.
>           If your engine VM is already based on el7 you can also simply
> upgrade the engine there.
>           This procedure will create a new disk on the hosted-engine
> storage domain and it will backup there the content of your current engine
> VM disk.
>           The new el7 based appliance will be deployed over the existing
> disk destroying its content; at any time you will be able to rollback using
> the content of the backup disk.
>           You will be asked to take a backup of the running engine and
> copy it to this host.
>           The engine backup will be automatically injected and recovered
> on the new appliance.
>           Are you sure you want to continue? (Yes, No)[Yes]:
>           Configuration files: []
>           Log file: /var/log/ovirt-hosted-engine-
> setup/ovirt-hosted-engine-setup-20180330101944-vtqn9r.log
>           Version: otopi-1.7.7 (otopi-1.7.7-1.el7.centos)
> [ INFO  ] Detecting available oVirt engine appliances
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Environment packages setup
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Programs detection
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Environment setup
> [ INFO  ] Checking maintenance mode
> [ INFO  ] The engine VM is running on this host
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Environment customization
>
>           --== STORAGE CONFIGURATION ==--
>
> [ ERROR ] Failed to execute stage 'Environment customization':
> 'OVEHOSTED_STORAGE/spUUID'
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Clean up
> [ INFO  ] Generating answer file '/var/lib/ovirt-hosted-engine-
> setup/answers/answers-20180330101948.conf'
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Pre-termination
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Termination
> [ ERROR ] Hosted Engine upgrade failed
>           Log file is located at /var/log/ovirt-hosted-engine-
> setup/ovirt-hosted-engine-setup-20180330101944-vtqn9r.log
>

> What's wrong ?
>

> Regards,
>
> Nicolas VAYE
>

> in Attached logs.zip file :
> - ovirt-hosted-engine-setup-20180330101944-vtqn9r.log
> - answers-20180330101948.conf.
> - vdsm.log

SANDRO BONAZZOLA

ASSOCIATE MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, EMEA ENG VIRTUALIZATION R&D

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>

sbonazzo at redhat.com
<https://red.ht/sig>
<https://redhat.com/summit>