oVirt Release Notes

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 21:18:17 UTC 2012

> > - Writing a brief message in the bug's Technical Note field
> > describing what the change being provided fixes/changed. Try to
> > highlight the cause of the issue, the consequence it had in the
> > past,
> > the fix being implemented, and the result from a user perspective.
> > That said generally we are only looking for a short paragraph per
> > bug.
>
> Don't know if you tried this but... when I log into bugzilla with my
> non-redhat.com email address, I can see the Technical Notes field,
> but I
> cannot edit it.  So we can't use the TechnicalNotes field unless that
> restriction is removed.

Sure enough, the field is restricted. Apparently only the bug reporter or an internal user can edit this field and this is set globally across bugzilla, though it arguably isn't appropriate for this project. I think our options from here are either:

- Use a literal string to mark which comment(s) in a bug should be used as the technical note.

or

- Use a script to generate/update a wiki page containing a list of the flagged bugzillas so contributors can input the text directly there.

Both options have pros and cons, and neither is particularly neat, so this might be something to hash out on list and finalize at next weeks meeting.

> > - Flag the bug as ovirt_requires_release_note?
>
> This I can both see and set with my non-redhat.com login, so this is
> fine.

While we sort out the other issues I definitely think we should keep setting the flag on bugs we think should be in the release notes, the deadline for this as discussed in today's oVirt sync meeting is January 16th.

Thanks,

Steve