[ovirt-devel] Integration tests future (and very nice alternative for the DAO fixture file)

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 11:54:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Roman Mohr <rmohr at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Martin Mucha <mmucha at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Having such builders would simplify our lives for sure. But I'd really
>> try to avoid any autogeneration. I would cost lots of man hours to make it
>> happen and result won't be good. If we agree to use this approach, and
>> everyone write new methods as they're needed, 'some basic builders' come to
>> life very easy and fast.
>

> That's what I had in mind and I have pretty good experience with that
> pattern from previous projects. I am also against autogeneration for the
> mentioned reasons in that case. If you are on a greenfield project, Lombok
> has a nice @Builder [1] in general but it does also not fit very well here.
>

>> Also some places already has such similar builders — like
>> org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.network.host.HostSetupNetworksValidatorTest.HostSetupNetworksValidatorBuilder.
>>
>> M.

What I absolutely all in for this method is how elegant and easy is to
create a dao test with it. Everything you need in the test class and
quickly. Its a a big improvement cause its simple and readable and also
nice to read and work with.
+1

Auto-generating is a bit off-topic I prefer if we concentrate first on this
effort.

Roy