[ovirt-devel] Killing XMLRPC on master

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Wed Jun 22 08:39:51 UTC 2016

> On 20 Jun 2016, at 18:41, Piotr Kliczewski <pkliczew at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Nir Soffer <nsoffer at redhat.com <mailto:nsoffer at redhat.com>> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Martin Sivak <msivak at redhat.com <mailto:msivak at redhat.com>> wrote:
> >> 1. Mom is still using xmlrpc
> >>
> >> Mom must move to jsonrpc.
> >> Martin: can you update on progress of this work?
> >
> > We would like to avoid going through VDSM completely, except from the
> > broker part. Is it possible now to "parasitically" listen to vdsm
> > events and engine commands without having to go through VDSM API?
>
> Sounds like a good plan.

bypassing vdsm for mom things is a good idea, but we need to make sure we’re not killing the rest of the system

> Piotr, how far are we from letting mom listen to engine queue so it get engine
> events/responses for certain verbs?

> We can do it now for both events and responses. We need to remember that we would
> receive anything that the engine is receiving. We could do better but that it would take
> more time.

so it would receive all responses for only the defined verbs?
It would wok well for getAllVmStats

> > You can drop XML RPC,. vdsm does not depend on MOM working anymore.
> > Just the balloon and ksm stats will be missing from data that are
> > being sent to the engine.

and a lot of things stops working then;)

> Balloon and ksm stats are sent today from mom to vdsm, and reported by
> vdsm to engine?
>
> If vdsm is only a middleman  and does not use this info, best to send
> it directly
> to engine via the stomp broker part of vdsm.
>
> Piotr, how far are we from having engine listening for mom events using the
> vdsm broker?

I don’t think we should move any monitoring pulled from libvirt into mom - it would need another expensive and problematic call