[Engine-devel] Separating engine-setup from ovirt-engine

Ofer Schreiber oschreib at redhat.com
Wed Jul 4 07:16:17 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 06:20:43PM +0300, Michal Skrivanek wrote:

> Could this possibly be avoided by an optional flag to the build
> script?

It's problematic, as ovirt-engine-setup is a sub rpm of ovirt-engine.
I have no idea how can we just build the setup without the engine, which is compiled in a temporary directory (and removed straight after the build)

> > > I agree that is the right thing to do. Take into account that
> > > this also
> > > means that ovirt-engine-setup will no longer be a subpackage of
> > > ovirt-engine, so you will have to submit a new package request to
> > > have
> > > it included in Fedora.
> > not quite sure having 10+ packages is a win…
> > - why do you have to have a separate git?
> > - why do you have to recompile when there's a change elsewhere?
> > isn't that a matter of compilation scripts only? (though
> > understand size of the rpm might be an issue…)
> > I personally do not see a point in separating of something
> > inseparable…but that's just me perhaps:)
> >
> > in other words, if you would kindly explain me the benefits please,
> > I'll shut up:-)
>
> indeed - having another package, with its own release cycle and
> versioning scheme is quite costy. and isn't ovirt-engine-setup quite
> tightly coupled with Engine's db scheme? (I really do not know, I
> should
> probably shut up, too).

Quite costly? why?

engine-setup is not tightly coupled with the db-scripts, we just execute the createDB script.