[Engine-devel] Fwd: Problem in REST API handling/displaying of logical networks

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 09:06:25 UTC 2012

On 05/07/12 11:56, Michael Pasternak wrote:
> On 07/05/2012 11:40 AM, Livnat Peer wrote:

>>> i disagree that <status> should be completely removed, instead as bug fix it
>>> should contain different members: ATTACHED|UNATTACHED (same concept we using in
>>> /api/storagedomains/xxx)
>>
>> first you agree we should remove the status as it is today as it does
>> not indicate anything to the user.
>
> http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/engine-devel/2012-July/002009.html
>

>> second you suggest that we'll add attached unattached status, I don't
>> see value in it unless you specify the clusters it is attached to as a
>> sub - collection, I don't see us getting to this anytime soon.
>
> exactly on opposite, if network would have /clusters links sub-collection,
> <status>attached|unattached<status> will not be needed as it obvious by
> absence or existence of clusters links in sub-collection,
>
> the use-case is: when you have N networks in DC and want to find unused one
> to attach it to cluster.

I don't see the logic in this use case, you don't attach a network to a
cluster because it is unused, you attach it because you want to use it,
having it attached to another cluster does not make much of a difference.

I don't see the need for the attached/detached property.
I do think that adding a sub-collection of attached cluster can give
some value to the user but again not an immediate action.