[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] Issue #650 - Kimchi & Network Manager

Jose Ricardo Ziviani joserz at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Sep 1 12:52:17 UTC 2015

Hi Suresh,

Actually we are warning the user about a possible failure when  creating
bridged VLAN with NM enabled. The reason is that NM doesn't support such
scenario.

I don't think Kimchi tries to stop users from using other tools but,
IMHO, it's a good approach to let them know when such tools don't work
as expected under determined circumstances.

Best regards!

On 01-09-2015 03:02, Suresh Babu Angadi wrote:
> Hi,
> This is the information displayed when clicked "+" button in "network"
> tab with Network Manager enabled/running- "The bridged VLAN tag may not
> work well with NetworkManager enabled. You should consider disabling it."
>
> Are we advising end user to block Network Manager permanently? or only
> in certain circumstances we ask user to disable network manager
> temporarily? If former case, then how about the scenarios in which the
> user relays on network manager to do certain network operations? If it
> is the later case, then how about the configuration changes made by
> Network Manager for the bridge or vlan created by kimchi?
>
> I am not sure about the history behind disabling the network manager. I
> suppose Kimchi should not stop end user from using other network tools,
> at the same time tool should easily pick up any configuration done out
> side of the tool.

Jose Ricardo Ziviani