virtualization benchmark suites

Michael D Day mdday at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 22 21:47:27 UTC 2011

project-planning-bounces at ovirt.org wrote on 09/22/2011 05:34:38 PM:

> Does such benchmark ever existed (apart from kernel build)? :)
> As you pointed Anthony, let the ovirt project first focus on simplify
> the build process before we develop a competing benchmark suite to the
> one that we base lots of our marketing over.

Yes, there are several distributed benchmarks that test different aspects
of virtualization performance. SPECVirt tests server consolidation. It
doesn't test memory over-commitment. In fact, I don't think anyone who
publishes a SPECVirt score using a configuration that over-commits memory
because it hurts the score. There are other benchmark suites that test HPC
cluster-style workloads running on a hypervisor. And networking
performance. These are just some of the ones we use within IBM. They are
very useful. If we would have had better benchmark suites to test memory
usage you would have decided to include the balloon driver in RHEL 5.4
instead of relying solely upon KSM. And if we had used a good distributed
transactional benchmark like DayTrader we would have known early on that
small-packet network performance is relatively poor. Just a couple of
examples.

If a benchmarking project does happen, it would need to be a
self-sustaining project under the oVirt community umbrella. That means
there would need to be interest in the form of independent developer
resources.

And keep in mind I'm passing on customer feedback. (I happen to think its a
good suggestion as well).

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Day
IBM Distinguished Engineer
Chief Virtualization Architect, Open Systems Development
Cell: +1 919 371-8786 | mdday at us.ibm.com
http://code.ncultra.org