[ovirt-users] used bandwidth when live migrating

Nathanaël Blanchet blanchet at abes.fr
Fri Nov 25 09:28:42 UTC 2016

Hi all,

We use in production a dedicated 10G vlan link for live migration. In
the cluster option tab I put the migration bandwidth limit to 10000
Mbps. Everything work as expected and now 25 vms on a host migrate in a
few seconds (excatly 13), but I'm not able to measure the real consumed
bandwidth. I want to evaluate such a thing beacuse my goal is to
dedicate a vlan for gluster ont the same 10G nic, and I don't want an
overload issue with gluster when vms migrations happen.

So my questions are : how does live migration work? Is it a RAM to RAM
transport between two hosts? Are migration bandwidth limited by I/O disk
anywhere or by the nic capabilities? Could 10Gbps be fully used for such
staff? What would you advice to make work gluster and migration on the
same nic (QoS?)

Thank you for help.

--
Nathanaël Blanchet