[ovirt-users] Very Slow Console Performance - Windows 10

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 22:45:32 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 5:50 PM, FERNANDO FREDIANI <
fernando.frediani at upx.com> wrote:

> I have made a Export of the same VM created in oVirt to a server running
> pure qemu/KVM and which creates new VMs profiles with vram 65536 and it
> turned on the Windows 10 which run perfectly with that configuration.
>
> Was reading some documentation that it may be possible to change the file
> /usr/share/ovirt-engine/conf/osinfo-defaults.properties in order to
> change it for the profile you want but I am not sure how these changed
> should be made if directly in that file, on another one just with custom
> configs and also how to apply them immediatelly to any new or existing VM ?
> I am pretty confident once vram is increased that should resolve the issue
> with not only Windows 10 VMs, but other as well.
>
> Anyone can give a hint about the correct procedure to apply this change ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Fernando

Hi Fernando,
based on this:
https://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/virt/os-info/

you should create a file of kind
/etc/ovirt-engine/osinfo.conf.d/20-overload.properties
but I think you can only overwrite the multiplier and not directly the
vgamem (or vgamem_mb in rhel 7) values

so that you could put something like this inside it:

os.windows_10.devices.display.vramMultiplier.value = 2
os.windows_10x64.devices.display.vramMultiplier.value = 2

I think there are no values for vgamem_mb

I found these two threads in 2016
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2016-June/073692.html
that confirms you cannot set vgamem
and
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2016-June/073786.html
that suggests to create a hook

Just a hack that came into mind:
in a CentOS vm of mine in a 4.1.5 environment I see that by default I get
this qemu command line

-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=33554432,
vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2

Based on this:
https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/draft/video-ram/

you have
vgamem = 16 MB * number_of_heads

I verified that if I edit the vm in the gui and set Monitors=4 in console
section (but with the aim of using only the first head) and then I power
off and power on the VM, I get now

-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=268435456,vram_size=134217728,
vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=64,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2

I have not a client to connect and verify any improvement: I don't know if
you will be able to use all the new ram in the only first head with a
better experience or if it is partitioned in some way...
Could you try eventually?

Gianluca