[ovirt-users] Configuring ilo4 on hp blade gen 9

Martin Perina mperina at redhat.com
Thu Oct 5 09:04:59 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
> on 4.1.6 I'm configuring fencing on HP blades Gen9.
> It seems I'm able to use ilo_ssh as agent and that I have only to set 22
> as the port and ssh=1 in options
>
> Question: why ssh=1??? the agent is named ilo_ssh.... shouldn't be
> obvious???
> The same form command line I MUST set -x even if I use fence_ilo_ssh
> command
>
> Nevertheless, this way I get successful test
>
> Sometimes I don't get the same result if I run from shell eg:
>
> fence_ilo_ssh -a ilo_ip -l fenceuser -S /usr/local/bin/my_fence_script.sh
> -x -o status
>
> I get sometimes:
> Unable to connect/login to fencing device
>
> I think it could be some sort of delay timeout.
> In fence_ilo_ssh I see these kinds of timeouts in help
>
>    --power-timeout=[seconds]      Test X seconds for status change after
> ON/OFF
>    --shell-timeout=[seconds]      Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after
> issuing command
>    --login-timeout=[seconds]      Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after login
>    --power-wait=[seconds]         Wait X seconds after issuing ON/OFF
>    --delay=[seconds]              Wait X seconds before fencing is started
>
> How do they map with gui settings options in case I would use some of them?

​Please take a look at man page of fence_ilo_ssh and scroll down to STDIN
PARAMETERS section. These parameters needs to be used in Options field in
webadmin
​

> Also, how do I map the command line option
>
> -4, --inet4-only
>
> Perhaps inet4_only=1 ?

​Correct
​

> I see that
>
> ssh=1,inet4_only=1
> works
>
> but also
> ssh=1,inet4_only=1,foo=1
> works

​Yes, we just pass the parameters to fence agent and if it don't complain
about unknown parameter, we have no way how to present that to a user.​

> So it is not a reliable test to verify syntax...
>
> All in all do you think it is the best agent for ilo4 based blades?

​Yes, according to our knowledge ilo4 should be used for all new HP servers
(and also ilo4 agent has most of default parameters, so if you don't have
some special configuration on your server you should be fine.
​

> I have made some test with fence_ilo4 but unable to get success... what
> should I enable on ilo web administration page in this case, if you think
> the agent would be better for any reason?

​If you are using admin user, then the default should be fine. If you are
want to create a special user just for oVirt PM operations then following
permissions needs to be assigned to user within iLO4 configuration​:

  Virtual power and reset
  Remote Console Access
  Virtual Media

And you need to add following into Options for the host PM settings:

  privlvl=operator

​
Thanks

Martin​