[ovirt-devel] Management network as a role - design proposal

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 09:55:23 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 11:52:41AM -0400, Yevgeny Zaspitsky wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The proposed feature will allow defining an arbitrary network in the DC as the management network for the cluster, which in its turn will allow assigning different VLANs for the management networks in the same DC.
>
> Feature page can be found here - http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Management_Network_As_A_Role .
>
> Please take a look into the page especially into "Open issues" section. I'd like to have your opinions on that.

May I ask why you change the default management network from ovirtmgmt
to "Management"? (And why the upercase M?)

Regarding your open question: "Creating new cluster would have to
receive the new parameter (management network)" This new parameter
should be kept optional, with a default value of ovirtmgmt. This way, a
user that is unaware of the new feature, would see no change in
functionality.

The feature page should discuss the possibility of chaning the
management role. Is it supported after there are hosts in the cluster?
If we allow that, there's a bit of complexity. The management network's
gateway is used as the default route of each host. If you change the
role, all hosts should be notified (with a new setupNetwork command).

I think that the cleanest solution would be to allow editing, but report
the hosts as out-of-sync. This approach requires a Vdsm-side change - it
would need to report which of its network is the default route.

Dan.