[ovirt-devel] Management network as a role - design proposal

Moti Asayag masayag at redhat.com
Sun Aug 17 18:12:25 UTC 2014

Hi,

* The mockups/UI is missing the "Cluster --> Manage networks" screen which should present the selection of a network as a management network. That ability should probably be behave as migration and display role (i.e. radio button).

A network has a status field in the context a cluster: A new required network is added as 'non-operational', and will change its status to 'operational' when it is configured on all of the cluster's hosts.
If the network is added as 'not required', it will automatically be set as 'operational'.
Setting the network status on cluster level as 'operational' is determined and not reversal.

* The introduction is aimed to the first user-flow:
"* Appointing a network as the management network will make the network required in the given cluster. " - should block 'non-operational' networks or 'non required' networks from being selected as a management network, and also block any attempt to mark a management network as non-required.

* network labels aspect:
** if a labelled network is marked as a management network, removing the label should not remove that network from the hosts (if labelled).
** "Moving a host from a cluster to another one." - if a management network on cluster A is configured on host, but not attached to cluster B, and that network is management on the host by label, changing the cluster will remove it from the host, which will targeted in a host without a management cluster. This should be blocked to avoid loosing connectivity.

Regards,
Moti