[ovirt-devel] Gluster Volume Snapshots - Feature review

Einav Cohen ecohen at redhat.com
Tue Dec 30 00:03:19 UTC 2014

Hi Shubhendu,

First of all - very detailed wiki pages (I focused mainly on the
User Experience part) - nicely done.

I have a couple of comments / suggestions regarding the GUI:

Snapshot action-group:

- from the wiki page:
"""
A new action-group "Snapshot" would be introduced under actions
for a volume.
"""
I assume that you will implement it similarly to the "Power Management"
action-group (on Hosts main tab) or the "Profiling" action-group (on
the Volumes tab), i.e. with a drop-down-like styling
[http://i.imgur.com/eWRg6o8.png]?

- If the Snapshot-related actions are expected to be core/critical in
the Volumes-related workflows, it makes sense to put them in the main-
tab, but please consider adding them to the Snapshots sub-tab as well,
in order to be consistent with other similar oVirt workflows.

New Snapshot dialog -> Schedule section:

- I suggest to implement the time-interval selection with a drop-down,
rather than a radio-button group; it is more consistent with e.g.
event-repeat scheduling in a calendar [http://i.imgur.com/y9Gn3wq.png],
it will save real-estate within the dialog and it will be more easily
readable for the user.

- to my understanding, the New Snapshot functionality doesn't have to
be recurrent; however, there isn't any way to "disable" the recurring
aspect. Here are some suggestions to how this should be added:
http://i.imgur.com/4j7hvRY.png
Option 3 is my personal favorite - it is the simplest, and is consistent
with Calendear-scheduling UI. Option 1 is my least favorite, however it
is consistent with e.g. the "Enable Power Management" UI within the "New
Host" dialog.

Snapshots -> Options:

- I think that there are a couple of problematic issues with this dialog:

  * the different functionality of this dialog when a Volume is selected
vs. when no Volume is selected may be unclear to the user.

  * the fact that we can update Cluster-related parameters (which
potentially affects *all* volumes in that Cluster) within a specific
Volume-context dialog is a bit risky - and we don't have anything similar
to that anywhere in the application today IIRC.

my recommendations:

  * have separate "Options - Cluster" and "Options - Volume" actions;
"Options - Cluster" should always be enabled.
"Options - Volume" should be enabled only when a Volume is selected.

  * See http://i.imgur.com/pfRpjrH.png for my suggestion for "Cluster
Options" vs. "Volume Options". Note that from the "Volume Options"
dialog, you may allow editing the Cluster Options by clicking on the
link-button, which will either (a) open the "Cluster Options" dialog
on top or (b) allow editing the Cluster Values inline within the
already-open dialog - this should be accompanied with a clear note to
the user that he is editing Cluster-related parameters from the current
(Volume) context, which may affect *all* Volumes in that Cluster.
Also note that in my suggestion, the user can conveniently see both the
Volume values and the Cluster Values side-by-side at once, for reference.

Snapshots -> Schedule:

- to my understanding, this should be very similar (or identical) to the
New Snapshot functionality? if so, we may want to simply open the "New
Snapshot" dialog focused on the "Schedule" side-section (rather than the
'General' side-section, maybe already pre-populated with some values in
the 'General' side-section (which will still be editable by the user) and
something already pre-selected in the (focused) "Schedule" section.

please let me know whether you think these can/should be incorporated
into the design, and/or if you have any comments or questions.

thanks.

----
Regards,
Einav