[ovirt-devel] [vdsm] logging levels and noise in the log

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 10:09:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

we discussed the right amount of logging with Nir and Francesco while reviewing my patches. Francesco was against one DEBUG log message that could potentially flood the logs. But the message in question was important for me and SLA, because it was logging the VDSM changes in response to MoM command.

Since DEBUG really is meant to be used for debug messages, I have one proposal:

1) Change the default log level of vdsm.log to INFO
2) Log (only) DEBUG messages to a separate file vdsm-debug.log
3) Make the vdsm-debug.log rotate faster (every hour, keep only last couple of hours?) so it does not grow too much

This way the customer would be able to monitor INFO logs (much smaller) without all the noise and we would be able to collect the DEBUG part in case something happens.

What do you think?

--
Martin Sivák
msivak at redhat.com