[ovirt-devel] HA not working 3.4.2

Arik Hadas ahadas at redhat.com
Mon Jun 23 06:20:30 UTC 2014

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
> Hi i was testing HA of ovirt,(i am from Xenserver background and trying to
> use KVM solution in our environment)
>
> Have 2 hosts with NFS storage and i tested migration between these two hosts.
>
> On Host2 while VM was running on it, i unplugged Power cable and it took long
> minutes to update that VM is down,okkk now long wait......
> ..
>
> VM state changed to unkown and not booted on second Node ie Host1
>
> its been half an hour and still the VM is not restarted
>
> What can be the issue?What should i do it make the VM in real HA so that it
> will be restarted on the active node.

We don't restart the VM in that case on purpose, since we really don't know
what's the status of the VM - the host might have been just disconnected from
the network while the VM is still running (and connected to the storage),
so if we'll also run the VM on a different host, we'll get "split-brain".

In order to restart HA VMs which were running on host that went down, you either
needs to have power-management defined for that host (for automatic restart) or
to trigger it manually by selecting "confirm host has been rebooted" when the
host is changed to non-responsive state (and you need to have additional host
which is up of course).