[ovirt-devel] multipath configuration

Sven Kieske S.Kieske at mittwald.de
Wed Jun 25 14:32:47 UTC 2014

Am 25.06.2014 15:58, schrieb Yeela Kaplan:
> Hi,
>
> Currently multipath.conf is being rotated each time we reconfigure it.
>
> We'd like to change the behaviour for multipath.conf so that current configuration will be commented out
> and we'd stop rotating (in the same manner as libvirt conf works today).
>
> Does anybody have any comment for/ against?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Yeela

I never looked into this, but as I read this
I have to shout out: this is a bad practice!

you should not just comment out old config and write
new config to the same file!

you should instead implement a proper rotation
algorithm, because you can than easily fall back
onto older configuration, plus you just got
your configuration in a simple version control system.

additional drawback from commenting stuff out:
imagine a setup with lots and lots of changes, you'll
need soon to strip some of the commented stuff out
of the file completly, because it will grow and grow.

in short: maintainability

please rotate config files, everywhere, so do not
apply this bad practice from libvirt conf, instead
fix libvirt conf.

thanks
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen