[ovirt-devel] virt-v2v integration feature

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 12:11:37 UTC 2014

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 01:36:59PM +0300, Itamar Heim wrote:
>> - Windows VMs - v2v would need to make sure relevant iso is in the iso
>>    domain probably with the drivers expected by v2v?
>
> I'm not 100% sure how this works, but I'll tell you what virt-v2v does
> (which is the same as old virt-v2v).  It installs RHEV-APT (.exe) in
> the guest and ensures it runs at first boot.  Does RHEV-APT need an
> ISO to work?  I was under the impression that the executable contained
> the drivers needed in itself.
>
> Rich.

rhev-apt (can't remember the upstream name of the top of my head) is
just a utility that automatically installs/updates the tools based on:
- detecting there is an ISO
- detecting the ISO is a rhev-tools iso
- detecting the ISO is properly signed
- run the various installers

so yes, we need to make sure if the converted VM is a windows VM, there
is an ISO (and attach it to the VM).

how/where does v2v get rhev-apt from btw?

(not sure the newly introduced ovirt windows guest driver iso has
installers yet).