[ovirt-devel] [ovirt-users] oVirt HA.

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 08:09:37 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Sven Kieske <s.kieske at mittwald.de> wrote:

> but everything above a minute could become critical for large orgs
> relying on the ability to spawn vms at any given time.
>
> or imagine critical HA vms running on ovirt:
> you can't migrate them, when the engine is not running.
> you might not even want a downtime of a single second for them, that's
> why you implemented things like live migration in the first place.
>
> the bottom line is:
> if you manage critical infrastructure, the tools to manage
> this infrastructure have to be as reliable as the infrastructure itself.

If there is any interest I can revamp a testbed similar to what already
done about one year ago with CentOS 6.5 and oVirt 3.3.3

See for summary about my configuration here:
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2014-March/022176.html

At that time I configured the cluster with Pacemaker/cman and the resource
split on the two-node cluster was something like this

Last updated: Wed Mar  5 18:07:51 2014
Last change: Wed Mar  5 18:07:51 2014 via crm_resource on
ovirteng01.localdomain.local
Stack: cman
Current DC: ovirteng01.localdomain.local - partition with quorum
Version: 1.1.10-14.el6_5.2-368c726
2 Nodes configured
14 Resources configured

Online: [ ovirteng01.localdomain.local ovirteng02.localdomain.local ]

 Master/Slave Set: ms_OvirtData [OvirtData]
     Masters: [ ovirteng01.localdomain.local ]
     Slaves: [ ovirteng02.localdomain.local ]
 Resource Group: ovirt
     ip_OvirtData       (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr2):       Started
ovirteng01.localdomain.local
     lvm_ovirt  (ocf::heartbeat:LVM):   Started ovirteng01.localdomain.local
     fs_OvirtData       (ocf::heartbeat:Filesystem):    Started
ovirteng01.localdomain.local
     pgsql_OvirtData    (lsb:postgresql):       Started
ovirteng01.localdomain.local
     ovirt-engine       (lsb:ovirt-engine):     Started
ovirteng01.localdomain.local
     ovirt-websocket-proxy      (lsb:ovirt-websocket-proxy):    Started
ovirteng01.localdomain.local
     httpd      (ocf::heartbeat:apache):        Started
ovirteng01.localdomain.local
 Clone Set: p_lsb_nfs-clone [p_lsb_nfs]
     Started: [ ovirteng01.localdomain.local ovirteng02.localdomain.local ]
 Clone Set: p_exportfs_root-clone [p_exportfs_root]
     Started: [ ovirteng01.localdomain.local ovirteng02.localdomain.local ]

there were some customizations I had to do related to ovirt-engine service
init script and to setup HA for POstgreSQL.
I already have as a task to dig into cluster changes for CentOS 7.1 and so
I can try to see how it adapts with oVirt 3.5 too.

Gianluca