[ovirt-devel] [oVirt 3.6 Localization Question #6] "cannot accommodate memory of VM's pinned virtual NUMA nodes within host's physical NUMA nodes."

Doron Fediuck dfediuck at redhat.com
Mon May 11 06:56:39 UTC 2015

On 11/05/15 09:20, Yuko Katabami wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have another question on a 3.6 string.
>
> *File:***AppErrors
> *Resource ID:***VAR__DETAIL__NOT_MEMORY_PINNED_NUMA
> *String:***$detailMessage cannot accommodate memory of VM's pinned
> virtual NUMA nodes within host's physical NUMA nodes.
> *Question:* I have a bit of difficulty clearly understanding this
> string. Particularly the part "memory of VM's pinned virtual NUMA nodes"
> Could anyone paraphrase this? (Could it possibly be "memory of VM's
> pinned to virtual NUMA noteds"?)
>

> Thank you,
>
> Yuko

Hi Yuko,
NUMA is splitting memory+cpu into smaller cells, where each cell has
cpu+ram. This is possible in real machines, and also inside the guest.

The best performance is achieved when you make sure each virtual cell
(virtual node / vnode) is pinned to a physical cell (pnode).

If the physical node is smaller than the vnode, or occupied with other
VMs, you will get this error.

Doron