[ovirt-devel] [oVirt 3.6 Localization Question #6] "cannot accommodate memory of VM's pinned virtual NUMA nodes within host's physical NUMA nodes."

Yuko Katabami ykatabam at redhat.com
Mon May 11 07:50:54 UTC 2015

On 05/11/2015 04:56 PM, Doron Fediuck wrote:

> On 11/05/15 09:20, Yuko Katabami wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have another question on a 3.6 string.
>>
>> *File:***AppErrors
>> *Resource ID:***VAR__DETAIL__NOT_MEMORY_PINNED_NUMA
>> *String:***$detailMessage cannot accommodate memory of VM's pinned
>> virtual NUMA nodes within host's physical NUMA nodes.
>> *Question:* I have a bit of difficulty clearly understanding this
>> string. Particularly the part "memory of VM's pinned virtual NUMA nodes"
>> Could anyone paraphrase this? (Could it possibly be "memory of VM's
>> pinned to virtual NUMA noteds"?)
>>

>> Thank you,
>>
>> Yuko
>>

> Hi Yuko,
> NUMA is splitting memory+cpu into smaller cells, where each cell has
> cpu+ram. This is possible in real machines, and also inside the guest.
>
> The best performance is achieved when you make sure each virtual cell
> (virtual node / vnode) is pinned to a physical cell (pnode).
>
> If the physical node is smaller than the vnode, or occupied with other
> VMs, you will get this error.
>
> Doron
Hi Doron,

Thank you very much for your explanation.
I think I understand the concept now but I would like to double check
with you -- can it be re-phrased as:

"cannot allocate memory to the VM's virtual NUMA nodes which is pinned
to host's physical NUMA nodes."

(I also want to check accommodate vs allocate)

Kind regards,

Yuko