[ovirt-devel] [oVirt 3.6 Localization Question #9] "distributed disperse volume vs disperse volume"

knarra knarra at redhat.com
Tue May 12 10:39:39 UTC 2015

On 05/12/2015 03:54 PM, Yuko Katabami wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Could anyone help me with the following question?
>
> *File:***AppErrors
> *Resource
> ID:***ACTION_TYPE_FAILED_REMOVE_BRICK_FROM_DISTRIBUTED_DISPERSE_VOLUME_NOT_SUPPORTED
> *String:***Cannot ${action} ${type}. Removal of bricks from
> distributed disperse volume is not supported.
> *Question:* Sorry to ask you a basic question but could anyone explain
> the difference between "distributed disperse volume" and "disperse
> volume"? These words are synonymous and a bit difficult to
> differentiate in my language. I would like to have some extra
> information/context in order to translate them accurately.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Yuko

Hi Yuko,

     Dispersed and distribute disperse volumes are Erasure Coded volume.
I am not sure how to explain the difference, but same logic of how we
differentiate replicate and distribute replicate applies here too. As of
now we do not support add / remove brick for these two type of volumes
in ovirt.

Thanks
kasturi.