[ovirt-devel] Changing the name of VDSM in oVirt 4.0.

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 17:00:38 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 5:29 PM, Yaniv Dary <ydary at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I wanted to bring this up to get feedback on this proposed change. VDSM
> doesn't align to other project under the oVirt umbrella like ovirt-engine,
> ovirt-node, ovirt-guest-agent etc..

+1

> I suggest for ease of use and tracking we change the versioning to align to
> the engine (4.0.0 in oVirt 4.0 GA) to make it easy to know which version was
> in which release and also change the package naming to something like
> ovirt-host-manager\ovirt-host-agent.

We cannot use the same version number, since we have different components,
and we will not rebuild a good an tested component if another component was
modified.

So we can share the major and probably the minor version, but the rest of the
version will be per component.

> What do you think on this? What do you think the name should be?

ovirt-agent - symmetric with ovirt-engine - these are the biggest
parts of the system.

ovirt-host-agent is too long, we don't want to use to word "host" for everything
that run on the host.

For example, supervdsm - we cannot call it ovirt-host-superagent or
ovirt-host-agent-helper
or vdsm-tool - we don't want to call it ovirt-host-agent-tool - think
about the poor
user trying to type these names in the shell.

Nir