[ovirt-devel] Changing the name of VDSM in oVirt 4.0.

Sven Kieske s.kieske at mittwald.de
Tue Jan 26 17:07:21 UTC 2016

On 26/01/16 16:29, Yaniv Dary wrote:
> Hi, I wanted to bring this up to get feedback on this proposed
> change. VDSM doesn't align to other project under the oVirt
> umbrella like ovirt-engine, ovirt-node, ovirt-guest-agent etc..
>
> I suggest for ease of use and tracking we change the versioning to
> align to the engine (4.0.0 in oVirt 4.0 GA) to make it easy to know
> which version was in which release and also change the package
> naming to something like ovirt-host-manager\ovirt-host-agent.
>
> What do you think on this? What do you think the name should be?

Hi,

just commenting from the end user perspective:

version align: +1
ovirt-prefix: +1

new name(suffix): host-agent:
don't know, I think it crashes a little with ovirt-guest-agent
(already used).

This might confuse some users, or what do you thing?

maybe ovirt-host-manager suites it more (to differentiate between vdsm
and guest-agent)?

I personally don't like the work "manager" for a software. in the end
it's your decision and I could also get along with ovirt-host-agent.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +495772 293100
F: +495772 293333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad
Oeynhausen