[Engine-devel] Maven 3 here we come!

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Wed May 23 20:04:12 UTC 2012

On 05/23/2012 12:59 PM, Doron Fediuck wrote:
> Hi all,
> As discussed last month[1], we had to deal with some issues which turned out to be a Maven bug.
> Thanks to Juan and Asaf's work, our current sources now build properly using Maven 3.
> So you're all invited to migrate into Maven 3. Other than upgrading your local maven package
> no other action is needed.
>
> For now, Maven 2 will also work for you, but I expect in the future we'd like to make use
> of some advanced features, so migration to 3 is recommended.
>
> Talking about advanced features, an interesting challenge is feedback on parallel builds [2].

I'm not happy with parallel builds - it creates more java processes,
each taking quite a bit of memory. This, in turn, causes them to swap,
making everything crawl.
Took me 22 minutes to compile the webadmin and additional 21 minutes for
the user portal, with -T 4. I've had 3.5GB of swap used (and 7GB
resident memory with 'java' processes running around).
It usually takes me

The command line I've used was:
mvn -T 4 clean install -Pgwt-admin,gwt-user -DskipTests=true
-Dmaven.test.skip=true

As opposed to 7+ 3 minutes without '-T 4'.

Y.