[Engine-devel] Time for Spring?

Libor Spevak lspevak at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 10:42:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

it is rather cold in Europe, but can I ask, what's the current opinion
or plans about "full" integration of Spring Framework into oVirt engine
(Backend)?

This is a commonly accepted integration framework among Java programmers
and industry standard, which
solves many pains from small to large projects. And can lead to a better
understanding of the program.

There are several Spring dependencies inside oVirt project, but mostly
for LDAP and database communication (JDBC template).

Still missing (sorry, looks like marketing, but..):

- dependency injection
- aspect-oriented programming (AOP)
- enterprise integration patterns

Is something true? :-)

1. We tried, but it is too large and overcomplicated, it can be solved
better way for the project purpose
2. We tried, but we think, we need just e.g. JDBC, LDAP layer covered now
3. We would like to integrate with e.g. Hibernate soon, EJB, remoting,
unit tests, integration tests, ... , probably we will need it soon
4. We understand and need dependency injection, but there are other
light DI containers (Pico, Guice, JBoss Seam).
etc.

Still, I think there is strong potential, probably not clear today. We
cannot avoid Guice on frontend side because of GWTP, but the backend
lacks something.
Or not?

Thanks.

Regards,