vdsm hooks pages at ovirt.org

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 17:55:00 UTC 2012

On 08/22/2012 08:47 AM, Dan Yasny wrote:

> Wiki pages are used by engineering, mainly to describe features and
> projects. I really want the hooks to have a consumable look to them,
> just like https://extensions.gnome.org/ or http://gallery.zimbra.com/
> or marketplace.redhat.com
>
> This will have to be built, and will take a lot of effort, so I don't
> expect too many changes there, once it's up and running, and the
> entry barrier is negligible, compared to the amount of work I'll be
> putting in there anyway.
>
> So if Wiki is the only choice, we'll have to use wiki, but if it's
> possible to do this in a nicer, more mature-looking way, I'd rather
> go there

It's not that the wiki is the only choice, I just didn't see an
explanation in the discussion as to why it won't suffice. I reckon I see
your point now. My only concern is if you can get the design resources
to make the look&feel. However, using WordPress at least gets you the
same look&feel as the rest of the site (including when it is updated.)

BTW, WordPress isn't a requirement either - you could build this another
way, but WordPress has some conveniences, including making it much
simpler for other people to help with maintenance.

Are these 'hooks' only going to be for VDSM? Or could there be others
for other components? I'm asking because hooks.ovirt.org is a generic
namespace, vs. vdsm-hooks.ovirt.org etc. Just want to make sure we don't
lock ourselves in to a name usage that we may not always want.

I'll add Dan as an Editor for the WordPress instance - you can always
start a page and rename it if the naming changes. I'll hold-off on
requesting the DNS addition to see what the answers to my questions are.

- Karsten