vdsm hooks pages at ovirt.org

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 20:41:41 UTC 2012

BTW, I transposed letters in your name, so I just remade the account.

On 08/22/2012 12:06 PM, Dan Yasny wrote:

> [...]

For example, we could setup /hooks as an actual sub-directory that
Apache serves up. The directory could be populated with a different
publishing framework, hand-built pages, etc. It could be automatically
generated from a git checkout, etc. It all comes down to what the VDSM
folks want to have and maintain. Using WordPress is easy, though: Infra
maintains it for the projects, it has built-in authentication, it has
the same design as the rest of the site, etc.

>> Are these 'hooks' only going to be for VDSM? Or could there be
>> others for other components? I'm asking because hooks.ovirt.org is
>> a generic namespace, vs. vdsm-hooks.ovirt.org etc. Just want to
>> make sure we don't lock ourselves in to a name usage that we may
>> not always want.
>
> Makes sense. We might also have a simpler repository for API and SDK
> scripts, instead of people keeping their own githubs all over the
> place, but hooks are important because they allow you to expand the
> functionality of oVirt in a very broad range of features

Does this mean hooks.ovirt.org is fine to use, and could be used by
non-VDSM projects? I'm fine with api.ovirt.org, sdk.ovirt.org, etc. Just
want to make sure we are thinking about them in a nice
information-architecture as well as program-support ways.

>> I'll add Dan as an Editor for the WordPress instance - you can
>> always start a page and rename it if the naming changes. I'll
>> hold-off on requesting the DNS addition to see what the answers to
>> my questions are.
>
> OK, is there a place I can read up on getting started with wordpress?
> Used to play with Joomla a few years ago, but nothing too serious

WordPress is essentially a blog engine, but it has other features that
allow it to be a CMS - stand-alone (static) pages, categories, etc.

This is a good place to start:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Getting_Started_with_WordPress

It's a very popular website framework so there is a lot out there about
how to use it. For myself, it's usually my favorite piece of software as
a user, which says a lot because I loathe webapps. :) (It's pretty great
as a sysadmin, too.)

- Karsten