[Kimchi-devel] [RFC] should we allow to stop network when there are some templates linked to this network.

Aline Manera alinefm at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Apr 8 20:10:19 UTC 2014

On 04/08/2014 04:54 PM, Paulo Ricardo Paz Vital wrote:
> Adam,
>
> I think Sheldon is talking about what the procedure to take when a user
> tries to remove/stop a network and it's being used (linked) only by
> guests that are not running and/or templates.
>
> IMO Sheldon, you must alert user which guests and templates have that
> network configured, and then stop/remove it.

The network associated to a template or to *any* guest should not be
removed or deleted - even if the guest is not running.
If we allow user remove/stop a network associated with a stopped guest,
the user will not be able to start the guest again which breaks Kimchi
usability.
And if we allow user remove/stop a network associate with a template,
the user will not be able to create a guest from it (which also breaks
Kimchi usability).

I think it is already implemented that way and I don't see any reason to
change it.
Those kind of verifications were added to avoid users get inconsistent
resources - templates or guests.