[Kimchi-devel] [RFC]: for template cloning.

Sheldon shaohef at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 28 15:11:17 UTC 2014

        template cloning:
        <https://github.com/kimchi-project/kimchi/wiki/template-cloning-and-customization#wiki-template-cloning>

|1|||clone a template|  from|||template|
The user may clone a template from an existing template with different name.
Later he can customize some parts of the template to save the effort to create a full new template.
For example, he can update the network of the template cloned to have a new different template.

2.||we should also also user||||clone a template|  from vm|
|I just concern the image volume.
For vm may has no CDROM attribute.
Then does the template need to copy the image volume.
|For VM clone, can we make the the vm image as a backing file(or we can
call it base image).

Then we can create two new images for this vm and new vm.

All these two new images are a read/write snapshot of the original image,

-- any changes to new images will not be reflected in original image.

http://libvirt.org/formatstorage.html#StorageVolBacking

http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/CreateSnapshot

--
Thanks and best regards!