[Kimchi-devel] RFC: "Add disk to existing logical storage> pool"

Frank Novak fnovak at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 31 14:14:30 UTC 2014

> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:42:47 -0200
> From: Daniel H Barboza <danielhb at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> To: kimchi-devel at ovirt.org
> Subject: [Kimchi-devel] RFC: "Add disk to existing logical storage
>    pool"
>
> Hello!
>
> I am almost delivering a first version of this feature but now I am
> having doubts in how it might work or not.
>
> My implementation would use vgextend and add a disk to an existing LVM
> pool. The question is that, in this process, all existing data in the
> added partition will be deleted. Is this ok? We can warn the user about
> it, of course. But I am not sure if this is the intended design.
>
> I've spoken with Aline a while ago and she agreed that the
> implementation would function similar to what we have today when
> creating a new LVM pool. We simply "do not care" about the potential
> data loss when adding the disk to an existing pool.
>
> Any thoughts?

Certainly if we are going to trash data, we do need to warn the user and
make sure they want to proceed...
I don't think that is necessarily bad, should be expected for knowledgable
admin...
Not sure there's an easy answer for add w/o loosing data (well certainly
backup/restore after)
Primary use case driving this was really the case of adding a new physical
disk to system and then add this to the storage pool..
I guess someone could want to take an in use disk from some other system,
or elsewhere on the same system, and want ot add that to the pool, thinking
that they could still use what was already on there... At this point, I
think we stick to KISS... maybe we include the warning/caveat in the Help
page for this as well...

> thanks!

Cheers,
Frank