[Kimchi-devel] Question about KVM domain not available on trusty

Thierry Fauck ( thierry @ linux.vnet.ibm.com ) thierry at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Feb 9 20:30:02 UTC 2015

On 02/09/15 15:55, Aline Manera wrote:

> On 06/02/2015 14:54, Thierry Fauck at linux.vnet.ibm.com wrote:
>> I forgot, on trusty, qemu-kvm doesn't exist as is,
>>
>> and when I try to create a template I get errors like:
>>
>>     libvirt: QEMU Driver error : unsupported configuration: Domain
>>     requires KVM, but it is not available. Check that virtualization
>>     is enabled in the host BIOS, and host configuration is setup to
>>     load the kvm modules.
>>

>> So 2 issues there
>> - in trusty get a proper qemu version to avoid  messages
>>
>>     error: internal error: process exited while connecting to
>>     monitor: Warning: Disabling some instructions which are not
>>     emulated by TCG (0x0, 0x4)
>>     qemu: hardware error: qemu: could not load LPAR rtas '(null)'
>>
>> - in kimchi, detect if kvm not a valid domain type then use qemu
>
> When kvm will not be a valid domain? Some dependency on package version?
yes - on trusty there is no qemu-kvm package by default
and virsh capabilities show the domain type for arch ppc64 as qemu only
- on utopic it shows kvm and qemu.
The issue is the same for x86_64 arch.
The question would be - should we use what'is in the release and adapt
kimchi for it or should be build what's needed for the product to work ?
Thanks

Thierry Fauck (thierry at linux.vnet.ibm.com)