[Users] virt-v2v

Vered Volansky vered at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 05:38:10 UTC 2012

Jonathan,

I'm bringing here the entire previous post on the matter:

>> We just added support for this to upstream virt-v2v, although it
>> requires a very recent qemu to work. F17 isn't new enough. I haven't
>> tested F18 qemu yet, but hopefully it'll be good there.
>>

> Thanks Matt,
> can you share any details on the differences from ovf in behavior?
> (and i was wondering why a newer kvm is needed?)

We can only output to oVirt's OVF, and we can only import from VMware's
OVA. The command line looks something like:

# virt-v2v -i ova --profile ovirt foo.ova

It needs a new qemu for the latest vmdk driver in order to do the
on-disk format conversion. The vmdk driver has been around for a while,
but it's only just become usable. This has long been the barrier to
implementing this feature.

Do you indeed meet the requirements mentioned above?

Vered