[Users] Unable to add ISOs to default ISO storage domain

Keith Robertson kroberts at redhat.com
Sun Feb 5 16:06:37 UTC 2012

On 02/05/2012 04:10 AM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 10:27:10AM -0600, Adam Litke wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:26:32AM +0000, Andrew Dunlop wrote:
>>> It would appear that the problem was the permissions on the files.
>>> after I did a chmod 0755 to the .iso it appeared almost immediately in
>>> the web admin.
>>> Should the iso-uploader script not have changed the permissions of the
>>> file? It appears to have set the correct owner.
>> Could someone explain why oVirt is even requiring ownership of the iso images by
>> a specific user and group?  Isn't it enough to just require read/write
>> permissions on the export?  The file ownership requirement is causing us
>> problems because we have an NFSv4 storage appliance that refuses to chown files
>> to 36:36 because those users are not known to the appliance.
> I have a vague, unsubstantiated memory, that this was intentional
> decision.
I support this decision.  It is a both a good design and policy for
those files and directories to be writeable to vdsm(36) and readable by
kvm(36).

I think you will run into some not-so-fun NFS permission issues if you
decide to make the directories and files in a SD writeable by more than
the user vdsm.  Which would require more configuration from either the
NFS server or from vdsmd (possibly both).