[Users] Is it possible to run the node and engine on the same box?

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 13:50:57 UTC 2012

> I think there are two different reboot's being discussed here:
> 1. reboot at end of an ovirt-node installation by ovirt node
> installation process (anaconda?)

This cannot be solved as long as oVirt Node requires 'installation to
disk'.  Once we remove the requirement for installing oVirt Node to
disk, we won't need a reboot at the end of the install... because there
will no longer even be an install.

So we get the above for free once we move to the fully stateless config
model.  In order to do that we'll need vdsm to retrieve all of its
config from oVirt Engine on every boot/connection.

The current thinking for 'stateless' in oVirt Node is that Node will be
responsible for 'just enough config' to:
1. boot
2. get mgmt interface configured so that mgmt agent (vdsm) can talk to
   its server

Every other aspect of configuration can be handled then by the mgmt
agent, keeping oVirt Node bootstrapping simple and also neutral in terms
of what each mgmt agent would require.

The challenge here is the registration model that vdsm uses.  How vdsm
registers will need to change in order for this to work.  Basically, if
a particular node is already registered, vdsm will need to talk to oVirt
Engine, the Engine will need to recognize that that particular node is
already registered and treat it as such rather than trying to
're-register' it.

Perry