[Users] How to migrate the Ovirt management server/frontend to another machine ? (what files are needed, etc)

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 19:04:01 UTC 2012

On 02/27/2012 04:14 PM, Morgan Cox wrote:
> Hi.
>
> As we are using Fedora16 as the OS on the frontend I would like to know
> what files/DB's, etc are needed to migrate the management
> server/frontend to another machine?
>
> I ask as the support life of Fedora is not too long, so for example when
> FC17 is released I would like to migrate the machine to that - by
> migrate I mean backup and re-install.
>
> Is there any info anywhere showing what files I would need to
> migrate/backup to a new frontend server? - I assume its going to be a DB
> and several files - I would just like to know for sure.

actually, you mean "engine" which includes backend/frontend as current
naming goes (I first though you wanted only the webadmin/userportal
("frontend") on a separate machine.
as for content:
db, conf and certificate files comes to mind.
a backup/restore script could be nice if you write one and contribute it.

> Ovirt looks really nice btw - thank you to all who made this possible.
>
> As a 2nd question - is there an ETA from when RHEL packages are going to
> be ready?

while nayone can try and push this earlier than that, I assume adding
target distributions would be discussed as part of the second version
slated for may.
http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Second_Release