[Users] Problem Creating "oVirtEngine" Machine

Richie@HIP richiepiovanetti at healthcareinfopartners.com
Sun Aug 4 21:43:37 UTC 2013

I can't agree with you more.  Modifying every box's or Virtual Machine's HOSTS file with a FQDN and IP SHOULD work, but in my case it is not.  There are several reasons I've come to believe could be the problem during my trial-and-errors testing and learning.

FIRST - MACHINE IPs.
THe machine's "Names" where not appearing in the Microsoft Active Directory DHCP along with their assigned IPs; in other words, the DHCP just showed an "Assigned IP", equal to the Linux Machine's IP, with a <empty> ('i.e. blank, none, silch, plan old "no-letters-or-numbers") "Name" in the "Name" (i.e. machines "network name", or FQDN-value used by the Windows AD DNS-service) column.
if your IP is is appearing with an <empty> "name", there is no "host name" to associate the IP, it makes it difficult to define a FQDN; which isn't that useful if we're going to use the HOSTS files in all participating machines in an oVirt Installation.
I kept banging my head for three (3) long hours trying to find the problem.
In Fedora 18, I could't find where the "network name" of the machine could be defined.
I tried putting the "Additional Search Domains" and/or "DHCP Client ID" in Fedora's 18 Desktop - under "System Settings > Hardware > Network > Options > IPv4 Setting"
The DHCP went crazy;  showing an "Aberrant-MAC-Address" (i.e. a really long-sting value where the machine's MAC address should be), and we knew the MAC address as we obtained using "ifconfig" on the machine getting it's IP from the DHCP.  So we reverted these entries from the aforementioned, rebooted, and got an assigned IP, with proper MAC address, but still no "Name"
Kept wondering around the "Settings" and seeing which one made sense, but what the heck, I went for it.
Under "System Settings > System > Details" I found the information about GNOME and the machine's hardware.
There was a field for "Device Name" that originally had "localhost.localdomain"; I changed the value to "ovirtmanager". and under "Graphic" changed to "Forced Fallback Mode" to "ON".
I also installed all Kerberos libraries and client (i.e. authconfig-gtk, authhub, authhub-client, krb5-apple-clents, krb5-auth-dialog, krb5-workstation, pam-kcoda, pam-krb5, root-net.krb5) and rebooted
VOILA…!!!
I don;t know if it was the definition of "Device Name" from "localhost.localdomain" to "ovirtengine", of the Kerberos libraries install, or both.  But finally the MS AD DHCP was showing the Addigned-IP, the machine "Name" and the proper MAC-address.  Regardless, setting the machine's "Network Name" under "System Settings > System > Details > Device Name", with no explanation of what "Device Name" meant or was used for, was the last place I would have imagined this network setting could be defined.
NOTE - Somebody has to try the two steps I did together, separately. to see which one is the real problem-solver; for me it is working, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it…"

Now that I have the DHCP / IP thing sorted, I have to do the DNS stuff.

To this point, I've addressed the DHCP and "Network Name" of the IP-Lease (required for the DNS to work).  This still does't completely explain why, by modifying the HOSTS file (allowing be to set and IP and non-DNS FQDN). allows me to install the oVirtEngine "as long as I do not use default  HTTPd service parameters as suggested by the install".  By using the HOST file to "define" FQDNs, AND NOT using the default HTTPd suggested changes, I'm able to install the oVirtEngine (given that I use ports 8700 and 8701) to access the "oVirtEngine Welcome Screen", BUT NONE of the "oVirt Portals" work… YET…!!!

More to come during the week

Richie

José E ("Richie") Piovanetti, MD, MS
M: 787-615-4884 | richiepiovanetti at healthcareinfopartners.com