[Users] How do I add a node?

Bob Doolittle bob at doolittle.us.com
Fri Dec 13 17:35:47 UTC 2013

On 12/13/2013 12:30 PM, Rob Abshear wrote:
> I am thoroughly confused at this point.  I have three servers. One for
> a controller and two for nodes.  These servers were used as an oVirt
> environment just last week.  But, now, when I try to do a fresh
> installation with the exact same configuration as before, I can't add
> nodes.  Here is the process I used previously:
> 1.  Install Fedora (minimum install) on each machine
> 2.  Install tar on each node machine
> 3.  Install the engine on the controller machine.
> 4.  Add nodes using IP and password in the web admin interface and let
> the controller build the node.
> 5.  Profit.
>
> Now that procedure does not work.  When I try it that way, the node
> installs and then fails with an error that it can't configure the
> management network on the node.  I have a second working oVirt
> environment, but I can't even add the nodes into that one.  So, I
> decide to try installing using the oVirt Quick Start document located
> at http://www.ovirt.org/Quick_Start_Guide. The problem is that, there
> is no "oVirt Engine" tab in the administration app.  It's my
> understanding from the document that this is how you tell the node
> which controller it should be allowing.  I can't add the nodes that I
> built with the oVirt Node Installation CD.  The documentation on this
> is so sparse that I can't figure out what's going on.  It was so easy
> to set up before, but I'm having nothing but trouble, now.  I have
> been at this for days, when the first time took me about an hour.
> What am I missing?  Could someone either update the Quick Start guide,
> or reply with some up-to-date instructions on how to install this
> environment?  FYI, I am doing this with completely fresh installs of
> Fedora 19.  No software is being reused or reconfigured.  It's
> completely stock.
>
> Controller=192.168.165.70
> Node01=192.168.165.71
> Node02=192.168.165.72
>
> All are connected via the same switch. I can ping all the three
> machines from each other.  If I try to ssh from the controller into
> either of the nodes, I get "Read from socket failed: Connection reset
> by peer".  If I attempt to ssh into either of the nodes from another
> machine on the network, I get the same message.

If you can't ssh into them, then nothing else will work, so fix that
first. It sounds to me like you do not have ssh service configured on
your nodes/hosts. 'systemctl enable sshd; systemctl start sshd' and see
if you can now ssh into them. If so, try adding them through the Admin
portal again. If after starting the sshd service you still can't log in,
try disabling iptables temporarily (and also possibly firewalld - I've
had issues with it also).

-Bob