[Users] How to import KVM machines into oVirt iSCSI

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Mon Feb 4 15:17:10 UTC 2013

Le 30/01/2013 12:00, René Koch (ovido) a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> The following command migrates a KVM vm named "test-rhel6" to your
> export domain "ovirt-engine:/data/nfs/export" with qcow2, thin
> provisioned disk and ovirtmgmt-network from KVM host "kvm-host":
>
> # virt-v2v -i libvirt -ic qemu+ssh://root@kvm-host/system -o rhev -os
> ovirt-engine:/data/nfs/export -of qcow2 -oa sparse -n ovirtmgmt
> test-rhel6
>
> See "virt-v2v --help" for details...
>
> You can also create a profile in /etc/virt-v2v.conf to avoid command
> line arguments for virt-v2v...
>
> For migration you need an export domain which must be NFS (not iSCSI).
>
> So the migration steps are:
> 1. create export domain
> 2. activate export domain on datacenter
> 3. install virt-v2v on ovirt engine host
> 4. migrate host to export domain
> 5. import vm from export domain

Thank you to Alex, Jakub (you were right, an NFS export domain is OK
with an iSCSI data center), and René.

- On a separate server, I created a NFS shared space.
- On oVirt web gui, I created a new export domain, plugged on the NFS space.
- I activated it, linked it to my iSCSI data center.
- On the oVirt manager, I installed virt-v2v and its numerous
dependencies. Seemless.
- Converting a domain using René's advices went all right (thank you).
- Importing into oVirt was also OK.
All those actions were related to linux VMs.

Now, the problem comes with migrating windows vmachines.
I read here at 3.3.1.2 :
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.1/html/V2V_Guide/sect-RHEV_Converting_a_Virtual_Machine.html#sect-Preparing_to_Convert_a_Virtual_Machine

that I had to install three things, more or less optional :
- virtio-win (this one seems mandatory, as I'm getting the error :
virt-v2v: blah blah blah missing :
/usr/share/virtio-win/drivers/i386/WinXP or whatever windows OS - I
tried many)
- libguestfs-winsupport (I don't know whether it is mandatory, as I'm
hitting the bug above.It seems important as it seems related to the file
system, so quite useful)
- Guest Tools ISO (this one seems to be similar to VmWare tools, if I
understood it well), so I don't know if it's an improvement only,
neither where to find it for oVirt and Fedora.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Ecarnot