[Users] management server very slow lately

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Fri Mar 22 15:05:47 UTC 2013

On 03/22/2013 02:54 PM, Jonathan Horne wrote:
> top - 08:53:38 up 70 days, 16:31,  1 user,  load average: 0.40, 0.34, 0.32
> Tasks: 432 total,   1 running, 431 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> Cpu(s):  1.3%us,  0.1%sy,  0.0%ni, 98.6%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
> Mem:  32876240k total, 18653508k used, 14222732k free,   522432k buffers
> Swap:  2097144k total,     4528k used,  2092616k free,  6270908k cached
>
>    PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>   2121 ovirt     20   0 12.9g 7.7g  18m S  9.0 24.6  16539:08 java

This is not normal at all. First thing that is strange is that your
engine is taking 7.7 GiB of RAM, which it should never take, as it is by
default limited to 1 GiB. Did you assign more memory to the engine on
purpose? How much? If you assign a lot of memory it can start to consume
a lot of CPU just for garbage collection. You may want to enable verbose
garbage collection adding this to /etc/sysconfig/ovirt-engine (or
/etc/ovirt-engine/engine.conf if you are using the latest source code):

   ENGINE_VERBOSE_GC=true

Then restart the engine and it will start to dump garbage collection
statistics to /var/log/ovirt-engine/console.log. The garbage collection
should be quite silent in an low activity system.

We used to have a bug that caused the max amount of memory not be
correctly limited, but it was fixed long ago:

   http://gerrit.ovirt.org/7952

The other thing that seems strange is the amount of CPU that it is
consuming. Do you have many hosts managed by that engine? In an
otherwise idle environment the CPU consumption is caused by the periodic
polls of the hosts, one each two seconds by default. If you see
continually the engine using a significant amount of CPU (you the output
of top above it is 9%) it could be useful to get a snapshot of the
stacks of threads, to see which threads in particular are consuming the
CPU. Send the QUIT signal to the engine process and it will dump the
stacks of the threads to /var/log/ovirt-engine/console.log:

   # kill -3 $(cat /var/run/ovirt-engine.pid)

Once you have that dump you can check which thread is consuming the CPU
as follows:

1. Get the PIDs of the threads of the engine together with their use of CPU:

   # ps -L -u ovirt -o tid,pcpu

2. If you see one of them consuming a high amount of CPU time then try
to find it in the stack dump generated in
/var/log/ovirt-engine/console.log. Lets assume that the PID is 13397,
for example, translate it to hex:

   # printf "%04x\n" 13397
   3455

3. Then look in /var/log/ovirt-engine/console.log for a line containing
"nid=0x3455". There you will find the stack trace of that thread,
something like this:

   "ajp-/127.0.0.1:8702-Acceptor-0" daemon prio=10
tid=0x00007f41e0220800 nid=0x3493 runnable [0x00007f41dbdf2000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE

Most threads will be waiting, but if you find one thread that is
consistently RUNNABLE then there is probably an issue. The dump of the
stack of that thread can help to find out what it is doing and why it is
consuming the CPU.

> I don't have a lot of experience with jboss, so im not sure it thats good or bad.  I did the jboss restart, and that helped a little, but its still a little sluggish again, now a few days later.
>
> Thanks,

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain