[Users] scsi disks inside VMs?

Paul Jansen vlaero at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 28 02:52:17 UTC 2013

Hello.
I'm wondering if it is possible to create VMs with ovirt that have scsi disks?
I've just installed ovirt 3.2.1 on Fedora 18 and attached an ovirt node (the current fedora 18 based version).

When adding disks to a VM I can chose from the 'IDE' or 'VirtIO' interfaces.  I'd like a scsi option also.
Mainly because when migrating from vsphere VMs this makes things simpler.
Also, my current kickstart installer for various OSes does not yet handle 'vd' disks.
To add to things I need to install a custom filesystem on the vms that wants a scsi disk.  It does a scsi inquiry early on in the install phase and will not work in 'vd' disks. ie: 'sg_inq /dev/vda' does not work.

I also know that the libata driver in recent linux distributions exposes IDE drives as scsi and allows a scsi enquiry to succeed.  Unfortunately the use case I have required Enterprise Linux 5 and in this release IDE disks report as 'hd', whereas scsi disks report as 'sd'.  So, I can just use an IDE disk to get around this problem.

I understand that virt-manager will allow attaching scsi disks to KVM based virtual machines, and that this is made possible by recent changes in libvirt.

I think we should be encouraging people to use the virtio disks where possible, but in cases where this is not straightforward ovirt - and RHEV - are missing a trick as far as allowing people that have existing vsphere setups to fairly easily move to ovirt.

Is a 'scsi' interface' option for adding virtual disks for VMs on the roadmap?  If not, could it be considered?

Thanks.