[Users] Bridge for logical network

Moti Asayag masayag at redhat.com
Tue Sep 17 06:24:37 UTC 2013

Sorry for the delay in response.

----- Original Message -----

The engine reports the network configuration as VDSM reports it. If the reported
network exists on the engine (by Logical Network definition), the admin will be
able to edit that network via the engine, else the engine considers a network
which doesn't exist on the engine to be non-managed and the only operation the admin
can perform is removing it from the nic.

By bridges I meant logical networks marked as VM network (current vm network implementation
by ovirt) as presented on the image in [1] marked by 2 "assigned networks".

https://motiasayag.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/setup-networks/

> If I hide one nic, then if the visible one fails, I loose connectivity
> even if the other nic in the bridge is active?

I haven't tested that scenario since ovirt doesn't supports such topology.
I might expect that if the visible interface is down, although the hidden nic
is operational, the host will be set to non-operational, unless the network
isn't marked as required (on Cluster --> networks sub-tab).

> If I add both nics to the bridge (the hidden and the visible) and then
> by the engine assign the LN to the visible nic, is it going to work?

I'd follow the next steps:
1. Via setupNetworks attach the LN to the visible nic.
2. Manually add the hidden nic as another leg of the bridge.

There is downside for this: If you decide to remove the network from the engine-side,
you'll have to remove it manually from the hidden nic as well.

The above is experiential and based on assumptions of how ovirt should
behave with such configuration. I'd use it only on test enviroment.